Privacy Policy & Cookies

Road Accident Claims Work Accident Claims Asbestos Exposure Claims Industrial Disease Claims Head and Brain Injury Claims Medical Negligence Claims Surgical Error Claims Travel Accident Claims Military Accident Claims Personal Injury Claims

How much?

FAQ

PI Information

Our PI Lawyers

0800 783 90190800 783 9019
0330 333 56560330 333 5656
Claim OnlineClaim Online
Text CLAIM to 82010 now, standard network rates applyText CLAIM to 82010
Network of offices throughout the UKVisit our UK offices

We'll call you back

Leave your details and we'll call you back between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday, or between 9am and 5pm on Saturdays.

Name:

Best contact no:

Best contact time:


Industrial diseases

Asthma

Allergic contact diseases

Chemically related diseases

Physically induced diseases

Respiratory diseases

Hazardous substances

Occupational disease lawyers

Home > Personal Injury > Industrial Diseases > Carbon Monoxide Poisoning > Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide, no taste or smell

Carbon monoxide (CO) can kill quickly and without warning, and if inhaled at lower levels over a prolonged period, can cause, brain damage and paralysis. CO is created when carbon-based fuels are not burned properly, producing excess CO that you cannot taste or smell.

Call the National Gas Emergency Service if you think you may have an appliance that is producing carbon monoxide. Switch off the appliance, shut off the gas supply, open all doors and windows.

Visit your GP if you feel unwell, to check whether you have been exposed to carbon monoxide and whether your exposure has caused any problems to your health.

Please select one of the links below to read more about carbon monoxide poisoning and how Clear Answers may be able to help you bring a claim for compensation.

Also visit our Carbon Monoxide Poisoning page to read more about carbon monoxide and how to bring a claim for compensation if you have suffered injury through exposure to carbon monoxide.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

If you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, you may suffer from one or more of the following symptoms:

In cases of extensive exposure, you may also exhibit erratic behaviour or lose consciousness.

If you are suffering any of these symptoms, consider whether they are seasonal, and become worse during the winter when heating appliances are working? Do other people in the accommodation or work environment suffer from the same symptoms? Do your symptoms ease when away from home or work?

Depending on the level of exposure, symptoms can take days, weeks, or even months to develop. Many of these symptoms can be confused with other common ailments such as flu or food poisoning, so please visit your GP if you think you may have been exposed to CO.

[ Back to list ]

Responsibilities for making sure gas appliances are safe

If you are a homeowner, you are responsible for making sure your gas appliances are correctly installed and maintained.

However, if you live in rented accommodation, it is the responsibility of the landlord to make sure you are not exposed to carbon monoxide. Whether you are a student or a tenant, the landlord is required to check all gas appliances meet the Regulations.

In particular, since 31 October 1998, it is forbidden to have some gas appliances in a room being used as sleeping accommodation. These include gas fires, gas space heaters, and gas water heaters. There are specific rules regarding the capacity of the appliance, and the room itself, so please visit the Health and Safety Executive website for more information.

Gas appliances can also produce carbon monoxide in the workplace, and your employer is responsible for maintaining a safe working environment for you, including gas appliances. Miners, garage employees and gas workers may be particularly vulnerable but if gas appliances are poorly maintained, poisoning can occur in any situation, including factories, offices and shops.

[ Back to list ]

Personal injury news stories

Clear Answers personal injury solicitors deal with a large number of industrial disease compensation claims each year, including those resulting from negligent exposure to hazardous substances such as carbon monoxide.

Please visit our personal injury news section to view details of these stories and other successful personal injury compensation claims that Clear Answers’ solicitors have been involved in.

[ Back to list ]

Making a claim for carbon monoxide poisoning

If you or a member of your family have been poisoned by exposure to carbon monoxide, and you can prove that the exposure was as a result of negligence by someone else, you may be able to bring a claim for compensation.

Family members who suspect that a deceased relative may have died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, through the negligence of others, may be able to claim compensation on behalf of the deceased.

Telephone us now on 0800 783 9019 or complete one of our online compensation claim forms and a representative will contact you as soon as possible.

[ Back to top ]
[ Back to industrial disease index ]

print this page