Accidents in the home - Compensation claim advice - The UK's most experienced PI law firm in the UK
Privacy Policy & Cookies

Road Accident Claims Work Accident Claims Asbestos Exposure Claims Industrial Disease Claims Head and Brain Injury Claims Medical Negligence Claims Surgical Error Claims Travel Accident Claims Military Accident Claims Personal Injury Claims

How much?


PI Information

Our PI Lawyers

0800 783 90190800 783 9019
0330 333 56560330 333 5656
Claim OnlineClaim Online
Text CLAIM to 82010 now, standard network rates applyText CLAIM to 82010
Network of offices throughout the UKVisit our UK offices

Picture of Rachael and her mum
"We were offered more than double the original amount"  Dawn Smith, mother of Rachael

Accident compensation lawyers

Home > Personal Injury > Public Liability > Accidents in the home

Accidents in the home

Personal injury compensation claims for accidents that happen at home

Almost 4,000 people in the UK die each year as the result of injuries caused by an accident in the home. Approximately 2.7 million people receive an injury that requires hospital treatment.

Many accidents in the home are the result of negligence by another person. However, it is not enough to show that you have been injured in an accident, you must be able to prove that your injuries are a direct result of someone's negligence and that the accident could have been avoided.

If your injury is proved to be the fault of another person, you may be able to claim personal injury compensation. Contact Clear Answers' personal injury solicitors on 0800 783 9019 to speak to one of our advisors.

Personal injury news

Clear Answers accident compensation solicitors represent thousands of clients each year who suffer personal injury in all types of accidents, including those that happen in the home.

Details of some of these compensation claims can be found in our personal injury news section, which is updated regularly.

More public liability news
More personal injury news

For more information about how Clear Answers can help you, please select one of the links below:

[ Back to top ]

Types of accidents that occur in the home

Defective products - If you have purchased an item which is faulty, and it causes you injury, you could make a compensation claim against the manufacturer or the retailer who sold it to you. For example, if a ladder collapses causing you to fall and suffer an injury.

Faulty electrical equipment - If an electrical appliance catches fire and you suffer a burn injury, you may be able to make a compensation claim against the manufacturer or the retailer. For example, a hairdryer that overheats and catches fire inflicting a burn injury.

Faulty workmanship - If you have paid for work to be carried out in your home by a tradesman, and their poor workmanship causes you injury, you could claim compensation against the tradesman, if self-employed, or his employer. For example, something is not correctly fitted and falls and injures you, or a handrail does not take your weight causing you to fall and causing injury.

Landlord responsibilities - If you live in rented accommodation, whether a council owned property or privately rented, the landlord has a duty to ensure you are safe in their property, and that it is maintained in good condition. If you are injured because of poor maintenance or faulty work, you may be able to claim accident compensation against your landlord or the council.

[ Back to top ]

What do I need to do to make a claim for accident at home compensation

If you have been injured in an accident at home, and you think you may have a claim for compensation, you should gather as much evidence as is practical. Notify the person you think is responsible as soon as possible. Take photographs of the cause of your injury, and your injuries.

If you incur travelling expenses, or costs involved in your medication or treatment, keep receipts to use as evidence later on. If your injury is the result of something you have purchased, such as electrical equipment, or work carried out by a tradesman, keep receipts of your payments or purchases.

Strict time limits apply for making a claim for accident compensation. This is normally three years after the date of your accident so make sure you seek expert legal advice as soon as you think you may have a valid claim.

[ Back to top ]

Making a claim for home accident compensation

If you or a member of your family have been injured in an accident at home through no fault of your own, contact Clear Answers' personal injury solicitors on 0800 783 9019 and speak to one of our advisors who will be able to assess whether or not you have a valid compensation claim. They will be happy to explain the claim process in plain English and answer any questions you may have.

Alternatively fill out one of our online compensation claim forms and a representative will contact you as soon as possible.

Please visit our section on information and advice for more details on making a personal injury compensation claim, or our gathering information and evidence section for details on what to do if you are involved in an accident.

[ Back to top ]

print this page