Privacy Policy & Cookies

Road Accident Claims Work Accident Claims Asbestos Exposure Claims Industrial Disease Claims Head and Brain Injury Claims Medical Negligence Claims Surgical Error Claims Travel Accident Claims Military Accident Claims Personal Injury Claims

How much?


PI Information

Our PI Lawyers

0800 783 90190800 783 9019
0330 333 56560330 333 5656
Claim OnlineClaim Online
Text CLAIM to 82010 now, standard network rates applyText CLAIM to 82010
Network of offices throughout the UKVisit our UK offices

Accident compensation lawyers

Home > Personal Injury > Public Liability > Slip and trip accident claims on private property

Slip and trip accident claims on private property

Specialists in accidents on private property

Clear Answers’ expert personal injury lawyers have considerable experience in dealing with slip, trip and fall accidents, especially those which happen on private property. Each year we deal with hundreds of accident claims where people have slipped on wet floors, tripped over uneven paving slabs, or fallen because of badly maintained roads, stairs or walking areas. We have a proven track record for securing the rightful compensation for people injured in accidents involving slips, trips, or falls, with thousands of satisfied clients.

Holiday accident compensation for client who slipped on manhole

Our client was on holiday with her family in the UK; it had been raining and the ground was wet. Whilst walking with her children through a pedestrianised area, towards an activity, our client slipped on the wet surface of a manhole cover and suffered bruising to her legs and shoulder. Although not serious, her injuries meant that she could not weight bear for several days and her family holiday was completely ruined.
More about Holiday accident compensation for client who slipped on manhole

More Slip & trip accident news stories

For more information on how Clear Answers’ personal injury lawyers can help you, please contact us on 0800 783 9019, or complete one of our online compensation claim forms and one of our representatives will contact you as soon as possible.

To read more about injury on private property and how Clear Answers can help you, please click on one of the section links below:

Occupiers’ Liability Acts 1957 and 1984

The Occupiers' Liability Act 1957 covers the duty of care owed to lawful visitors to private property and states:

“The common duty of care is a duty to take such care as in all the circumstances of the case is reasonable to see that the visitor will be reasonably safe in using the premises for the purpose for which he is invited or permitted by the occupier to be there …”

In other words, the occupier must assess whether it is reasonable to foresee that a visitor would become injured due to the occupier’s negligence, and remove or minimise such risks.

Warning signs should be displayed where unavoidable hazards occur, but should be specific and draw attention to the location and nature of the risk. It is not sufficient to display notices of ‘DANGEROUS’ or ‘BEWARE’. If the danger is related, for example, to an uneven floor, the sign should state that the floor is uneven.

Similarly, if the danger is related to slippery floors, resulting from a spillage of some kind, the sign should be erected as quickly as possible to prevent accidents until the spill can be cleared up. In the event of an accident, and compensation being sought, it would be the occupier's responsibility to demonstrate that a robust procedure was in place for handling such spillages and that it could not be reasonably foreseen that an accident would occur.

The Act also states that it is a reasonable assumption that children will be less careful than adults will, and the potential risks will therefore be greater. Extra consideration should therefore be given by the occupier to the possible dangers to children. If the occupier is aware for example that children are frequently trespassing on to private property and are perhaps attracted to some hazardous property feature, trap or other allurement, a duty of care may arise.

The Occupiers' Liability Act 1984 extends the legal duties of the occupier to persons other than lawful or authorised visitors. Occupiers may be liable to persons other than their visitors if the occupier is aware or ought to have known of a danger on their property and that such other persons may fall victim to that danger and sustain injury.

Therefore, liability may arise on the part of the occupier whether or not there is lawful authority for the victim to be there on the occupier's property. The occupier has to act reasonably to protect any person that may come on to the occupier's property if they are aware that this is happening and that there is a danger present.

If you or a member of your family has suffered an accident on private property, you may be able to claim accident compensation from the owner or occupier of those premises, under the rules of the Occupiers’ Liability Act.

[ Back to List ]

What defines private property?

The list of premises which are governed by the Occupiers’ Liability Act is varied, but as well as the obvious ones such as shops, car parks, warehouses, buildings, and even private dwellings, it also covers scaffolding, docksides, ships, aircraft and many other forms of fixed or moveable structures. The Act also applies to injuries on owner-occupier land.

[ Back to List ]

Who is an occupier?

Because the type of private property is so varied, so too is the list of types of occupiers. They may be a local authority, a company as in the case of a store or car park, or even an individual in the event of an accident in someone’s home. A tenant under a lease can be an occupier but the landlord may also still retain some responsibility for the safety of the structure or fittings within the premises under the terms of the lease.

If you have been injured on private property, such as a slipping injury in a supermarket, or a tripping accident in a store, contact Clear Answers for private property accident claim advice and whether your claim for compensation can be brought under the Occupiers’ Liability Act.

[ Back to List ]

Slip, trip and fall accidents

One of the most common types of personal injury claims, slipping accidents or tripping accidents can occur through a wide variety of causes, particularly spillages that have not been promptly or adequately cleaned up. Other examples of tripping accidents can occur through raised paving slabs, falling into potholes in areas not correctly maintained, or tripping over items left in the wrong place.

Any of these situations may cause a slipping or tripping accident, which may result in personal injury where the injured person would have a valid claim for compensation for an accident on private property, under the Occupiers’ Liability Act.

[ Back to List ]

Making a claim for slip, trip and fall compensation

If you have been injured in a slip, trip or fall accident on private property, please contact Clear Answers on 0800 783 9019 or complete one of our online compensation claim forms and we will be happy to provide expert private property accident claim advice. Our specialist personal injury solicitors will be pleased to advise whether you have a valid claim for slip, trip, or fall compensation under the rules of the Occupiers’ Liability Act, or any other legislation that might apply to the circumstances of your accident on private property.

Some horrific accidents can occur on private property and we have experience in dealing with these claims. Due to the high potential value of some cases and the complex law involved, claims are often taken to the highest courts, namely the House of Lords, and Clear Answers' personal injury solicitors have extensive experience in winning these complex cases at all levels.

[ Back to List ]

What to do if you are involved in a slip, trip or fall accident

As with all personal injury compensation claims, it is not sufficient that you have been injured in a slip, trip or fall accident, you must be able to prove that the accident happened because of negligence on the part of the occupier.

If you are unlucky enough to suffer an accident on private property, it is important to take photographic evidence if you are able to do so at the time. If you are not able to take them immediately after your accident, do so as soon after the accident as you can. If relevant, use a ruler to measure the depth or height of the obstacle or obstruction.

If possible, report your accident to the occupier either at the time of the accident or as soon after as you are able, and, if available, enter the details in the accident log. If there were any witnesses to your slip, trip or fall accident, take their names and home addresses.

If you need to seek medical treatment, keep receipts of any medication, travelling expenses, and if relevant the cost of the treatment itself.

Please visit our section on information and advice for more details on making a personal injury compensation claim.

[ Back to List ]

Awarding damages for slips, trips and falls

In deciding the amount of private property compensation to award you, the court will assess the severity of the injury caused by your slip, trip or fall, the levels of pain and distress it caused you, the chances of a full recovery and the cost of any medical treatment. This compensation is known as general damages.

The courts will also make a separate award, known as special damages, to cover loss of earnings and out of pocket expenses you may have incurred as a result of your private property accident. In order for your claim to succeed, you must be able to prove that a third party was at fault.

[ Back to List ]

Time limits for slip, trip and fall accidents

As with all personal injury compensation claims, there is a strict time limit for pursuing a claim for your injuries. A claim for slip, trip and fall compensation must be started within three years of your accident, or within three years of you becoming aware that you have been injured as a result of the private property accident.

If you are unsure whether you have a valid claim, contact Clear Answers’ specialist personal injury lawyers who will be happy to advise you whether you are within the three-year limit, and whether you have a valid accident compensation claim.

[ Back to List ]

Slip, trip and fall accident news stories

Clear Answers slip, trip and fall accident solicitors deal with a large number of these types of cases each year. Details of some of these personal injury compensation claims can be found in our personal injury news section, which is updated regularly.

Below is just a small sample of news items which may be of interest including a recent successful accident claim.

Slipping accidents soar during icy conditions

During the recent lengthy and treacherous conditions of snow and ice across the UK, hospital reports indicated that A&E admissions for injuries due to snow-related accidents were up significantly and on average amounted to 23% of their total admissions, according to the Nursing Times.

At the same time, some of the media was reporting that businesses would be unwise to clear the snow from areas outside their property boundaries, since accidents that subsequently occurred on those cleared areas could result in claims against them for accident compensation.
More about Slipping accidents soar during icy condition

Accident compensation for shopper who slipped on wet floor tiles

When a shopping trip ended with our client suffering personal injury, she asked for our accident claim advice in making a claim for slip, trip or fall compensation. She slipped and fell on wet tiles and although the defendant eventually admitted liability for the accident, our specialist slip, trip and fall lawyers had to fight hard to win the compensation to which she was entitled.

The defendant admitted being in breach of the the Occupiers Liability Act 1957, and we were eventually able to secure over £14,000 in accident compensation for our client’s injuries and ongoing discomfort.
More about Accident compensation for shopper

[ Back to List ]

Slip, trip and fall accident compensation claims

Telephone us now on 0800 783 9019 or complete one of our online compensation claim forms, and a representative will contact you as soon as possible.

[ Back to Top ]

print this page